MEET BEN - 6.18.14
How did you get connected to the Frendly Gathering?
One week before I was scheduled to move to Washington, DC to begin a career I wasn’t completely passionate about, I contacted my old frend Jack to see how he was doing. He invited me to help out at the Frendly Gathering. I took the flight I had already booked to DC, took a train up to Vermont, and had one of the best weekends of my life.
What do you love most about getting out to Vermont to support the fest?
The moment I land in Vermont I’m surrounded by frends, most of whom I haven’t seen in a year, and it’s as if no time has passed at all. To be surrounded by such a positive, collaborative, and welcoming environment is amazing. I also love Vermont! It is so green!
We heard that you are moving to NYC this summer, what for?
I am incredibly lucky to get an opportunity to intern at a journal of history and literature in New York later this summer. If you want to find me, I’ll probably be buried in a book in the deepest, most remote, and obscure sections of a library. I love it, though. With every book you read, you experience a person’s life.
What drives your passion for writing?
I love people, stories, and stories about people. Also, when I write and read, I am constantly learning, and that’s my favorite thing to do.
What’s your best life advice?
Do what you do for love, not for money. Also, every one spends 70% of their life doing the same types of things… work, friends, family, etc… it’s what we do with the other 30% that takes us to the next level. Also, “Stones want to go on being stones, too, forever and ever… and for centuries they are. Until they turn to dust.” (Jorge Luis Borges)
Bennet Logan is a scholar, an aspiring playwright, and a contributor to the Free World Reader. Writing is no doubt his forte, and we would love to share his bio in his own words, "I once was a catcher in an 8th grade game of kickball. As the opposing team ran a train of people past home plate, I was picking dandelions, and I couldn’t have been more happy about my decision. There were some really great dandelions. I’m 25 now, but I still pick flowers and I still love to find what it is that makes me happy. Currently, what makes me happy is reading stories, telling stories, and spending time with frends."